The largest vision science library in the country with more than 40,000 books and over 2,500 online journals. Visit our homepage >
My research focuses on understanding disease processes of the cornea with the goal of developing medical treatments to treat damaged or diseased corneas. My current work is aimed at understanding the nature of the cornea endothelial pump and the pathophysiology of endothelial dysfunction.
Indiana University School of Optometry, PhD, Vision Science, 2012
University of Houston College of Optometry, OD 1999
Texas A&M University, BBA Accounting, 1992
Jan. 2012- Present: Assistant clinical professor, College of Optometry, State University of New York
Jan. 2012- Dec. 2012: Assistant scientist, School of Optometry, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
Sept. 2009- Dec. 2011: Research Associate, School of Optometry, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
Aug. 2004-Aug. 2009: Postdoctoral Fellow, School of Optometry, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
2012- Present: New York, licensed optometrist
2000-Present: Indiana, licensed optometrist.
NIH/NEI (K08-EY019537): Lactic acid across the corneal endothelium
1. Schmedt T, Chen Y, Nguyen TT, Li S, Bonanno JA, Jurkunas UV. Telomerase immortalization of human corneal endothelial cells yields functional hexagonal monolayers. PloS One. 1012; 7 (12) in press.
2. Nguyen T, Bonanno JA. Lactate:H+ transport is a significant component of the in vivo corneal endothelial pump. . Invest Opththalmol Vis Sci. 2012 Apr 18, 53(4):2020-9.
3. Nguyen TT, Bonanno J. Bicarbonate, NBCe1, NHE, and carbonic anhydrase activity enhance lactate-H+ transport in bovine corneal endothelium. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011 Oct 17;52(11):8086-93.
4. Liu C, Cheng Q, Nguyen T, Bonanno JA. Knockdown of NBCe1 in vivo compromises the corneal endothelial pump. Invest Opththalmol Vis Sci. 2010 Oct;51(10):5190-7.
5. Cheng Q, Nguyen T, Song H, Bonanno J. Hypoxia protects human corneal endothelium from tertiary butyl hydroperoxide and paraquat-induced cell death in vitro. Exp Biol Med 2007 Mar; 232(3):445-53.
6. Soni PS, Nguyen TT and XO Overnight Orthokeratology group, Overnight Orthokeratology experience with XO material, Eye and Contact Lens Journal, 2006 32(1): 39-45.
7. Siatkowski RM, Cotter S, Miller JM, Scher CA, Crockett RS, Novack GD, Soni PS, Nguyen TT, for the Pirenzepine Study Group, safety and Efficacy of 2% Pirenzepine Ophthalmic Gel in Children With Myopia; A 1-year A 1-Year, Multicenter, Double-Masked, Placebo-Controlled Parallel Study. Arch Ophthalmol 2004; 122:1667-74.
8. Soni PS, Nguyen TT and Bonanno J, Overnight Orthokeratology: refractive and corneal recovery following discontinuation of reverse geometry lenses, Eye and Contact Lens Journal, 2004 30(4): 254-262.
9. Soni, PS and Nguyen TT, Overnight Orthokeratology: visual and corneal changes, Eye and Contact Lens Journal, 2003 29(3): 137-145.
10. Bonanno Joseph, Nguyen T, Biehl Trina, Soni PS. “Can variability in corneal metabolism explain the variability in corneal swelling?” Eye and Contact Lens Journal, 29(1S): S7-9, 2003.
11. Nguyen T, Soni PS, Brizendine E., Bonanno JA “Variability in hypoxia-induced corneal swelling is associated with variability in corneal metabolism and endothelial function. Eye and contact Lens Journal, 2003, 29 (2): 117-125
12. Bonanno Joseph, Stickel Tom, Nguyen Tracy, Biehl Trina, Carter Donna, Benjamin William, Soni PS, Direct Estimation of Human Corneal Oxygen Consumption by Non-invasive Measurement of Tear Oxygen Tension While Wearing Hydrogel Contact Lenses, Invest. Ophthalmol & Vision Sci, 43: 371-376, 2002
1. Tracy T. Nguyen, Kenichi Iwadate, Shimin Li, Joseph A. Bonanno. Distribution of LDH Isoforms in the Bovine Corneal Epithelium and Endothelium, Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2011;52: E-Abstract 274.
2. T.T. Nguyen, C. Liu, J. Bonanno. The Role Of Bicarbonate And Carbonic Anhydrase In Lactic Acid Transport Across Corneal Endothelium. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2010;51: E-Abstract 69
3. K. K. Dutta, S. J. Shivakumar, T. Nguyen, C. Liu, E. Vithana, and J. A. Bonanno. Cloning and Characterization of the Borate Transporter SLC4A11in Bovine Corneal Endothelial Cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2009;50: E-Abstract 1797
4. Tracy Nguyen, Joseph Bonanno. Lactic Acid Transport in the Rabbit Corneal Endothelium. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2009;50: E-Abstract 1814
5. C. Liu, T. Nguyen, Q. Cheng, M. Calvin, and J. Bonanno In vivo Knockdown of Sodium-Bicarbonate Cotransporter NBCe1 in Rabbit Corneal Endothelium by Lentiviral Gene Delivery Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 200;49: E-Abstract 3173.
6. T. T. Nguyen, M. Cui, and J. Bonanno Lactate Transport in Cultured Bovine Corneal Endothelium Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2008;49: E-Abstract 3936.
7. J. A. Bonanno, T. Nguyen, C. Cheng, and H. Song In vivo Lentiviral Mediated Gene Delivery to Rabbit Corneal Endothelium Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2007;48: E-Abstract 2701.
8. T. T. Nguyen, and J. A. Bonanno Lactic Acid Transport Across Bovine Corneal Endothelium Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2007;48: E-Abstract 2826.
9. Q. Cheng, T. Nguyen, H. Song, and J. Bonanno Hypoxia Protects Human Corneal Endothelium (HCE) From tBHP and Paraquat Induced Cell Death in vitro Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2006;47: E-Abstract 4923.
10. Y. Guo, T. Nguyen, S. Soni, and G. Wilson. Cell Shedding in Overnight Orthokeratology. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2004;45: E-Abstract 1581
11. P.S. Soni, M. Satpathy, T. Nguyen, M. Watsky, and S.P. Srinivas Lysophosphatidic Acid–induced Phosphorylation of Myosin Light Chain (MLC) in Cultured Fibroblasts From Bovine Cornea Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2004;45: E-Abstract 3832.
12. J.A. Bonanno, T. Nguyen, T. Biehl, C. Coe, and S. Soni. Metabolic Adaptation of Corneal Epithelium following Hypoxia Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2004;45: E-Abstract 1581
13. P. Sarita Soni, Tracy T Nguyen. Overnight Corneal Reshaping. American Academy of Optometry (AAO) meeting 2004.
14. Danielle L. Lukkes, Angela A. Archer, Tracy T Nguyen, P. Sarita Soni. Eyelid Cornea Relationship On Contact Lens Position On Asian And Caucasian Eyes, AAO meeting 2004
15. Davea Horton, Tracye Eiselt, Tracy T Nguyen, P. Sarita Soni . Rate Of Change In Corneal Curvature, Refractive Error And Visual Acuity With Paragon Crt Lenses.
AAO meeting 2004.
16. Srinivas, SP, Tracy T Nguyen, Prabhanjan Kambadur B.E, Joseph A. Bonanno, P. Sarita Soni. Rapid Measurement of Tear Oxygen Underneath Soft Contact Lenses by Phase-Domain Phosphorescence. AAO meeting 2003.
17. Moore Dionne, Nguyen TT. Effect of Proparacaine on Corneal Permeability. AAO meeting 2003.
18. Pouydal Ritesh and Tracy Nguyen. Topographical and Anatomical Characterization of Keratoconic Cornea. AAO meeting 2003.
19. Soni PS, Nguyen TT. Which corneal parameter, anterior corneal curvature, posterior corneal curvature, or corneal thickness is most sensitive to acute changes with reverse geometry orthokeratology Lenses. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2002;43: E-Abstract 3086.
20. T. Nguyen, S. Soni, Donna Carter, Trina Biehl. Corneal changes associated with overnight orthokeratology. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2002;43: E-Abstract 3092.
21. Soni PS and Nguyen TT. Corneal and refractive changes in orthokeratology, American Academy of Optometry, International Meeting, Munich, Germany, April 2002
22. Soni PS and Nguyen TT. Refractive and optic changes in orthokeratology, International Society of Contact Lens Society, Belfast, Northern Ireland, April 2002
23. Tracy Nguyen, P. Sarita Soni, Donna Carter, Trina Biehl. Visual and Central Corneal Thickness Changes Associated with Overnight Orthokeratology. AAO meeting 2001.
24. Bonanno J.A., Nguyen TT, Biehl T, Carter D, Soni S. Can variability in cornea lmetabolic activity explain intersubject variability in hypoxic corneal swelling? Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2001; 42:S590.
25. Nguyen TT, Soni P.S. Does subjective response to corrective devices worn by subjects reflect objective acuity measures at distance and near? Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2001;42:S860.
26. Reich LN, Nguyen TT, Levi DM. Artificial scotomas and spatial localization. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 1997;38:S635.
27. Nguyen TT, Reich LN, Levi DM. Spatial localization judgments and artificial scotomas. AAO meeting 1996.
Transforming Corneal Endothelial Cells using Viruses in vivo, American Academy of Optometry 2012 (October 2012)
Lactate transport across the corneal endothelium-SUNY College of Optometry (June 2012)
Lactic acid transport across corneal endothelium-School of Optometry, The Ohio State University (July 2008)
Nguyen TT and Soni PS, Overnight Orthokeratology lecture & workshop, Summer Continuing Education, School of Optometry, Indiana University (July 2003)
Overnight Orthokeratology, Summer Continuing Education, School of Optometry, Indiana University (July 2002)
Visual and Refractive Changes Following Overnight Orthokeratology, Oxyopia, School of Optometry, Indiana University (Jan 2002)
NIH K08 Mentored Clinical Scientist Development Award (2009-2014)
Ciba Vision-Ezell Fellowship (2008)
Borish-Ezell Fellowship (2007)
Fellow, American Academy of Optometry (2005)
NIH K-12 Clinician-Scientist Trainee (2004-2009)