Welcome Alumni to the Kohn Vision Science Library
At the Harold Kohn Vision Science Library, we understand that optometrists are committed to lifelong learning. We are proud to help you meet that important goal by providing you with up-to-date online resources, facilitating access to free digital medical and science journals, and helping you keep abreast of the latest developments in vision health. Serving the alumni community is an important part of what we do, and we are always looking for tools that will help you stay current in this fast-moving profession.
While we are happy to see you in person, we also encourage “virtual visits” to the Library through our website. Check out the Alumni Resources to see what’s available and what we’ve added. We look forward to welcoming all members of the extended SUNY Optometry family. In addition to the online resources below, visit the Library website for more information, or contact Ms. Elaine Wells, Library Director, for assistance with specific information needs.
If you are planning a virtual visit, please fill out an Alumni Library Privileges Information Form and take advantage of the lifelong learning resources we have to offer. If you plan to come to the library on a weekend, please call us during the week at 212-938-5690 to find out what our hours of operation will be.
Here is an overview of resources available to alumni:
- From the Kohn Library website, you can access PubMed (the database of the National Library of Medicine), as well as several collections of free electronic journals. (Remember, however, that many of our databases and electronic journals require a login available only to current SUNY Optometry students, faculty, and staff.)
- You can also use our website as a springboard to a wide range of publicly available health, medical, and cultural resources that will keep you up-to-date on everything from the latest developments in optometry to what’s happening around the city.
- EBSCOhost Alumni Databases for SUNY. To search these two databases, you need to use the Alumni Directory Login. Please click on a database title just below, log in, and access the database.
- Academic Search Alumni Edition: Full text for more than 3,190 multidisciplinary journals, plus indexing and abstracting for more than 8,000 journals (currently not available)
- Business Source Alumni Edition Full text for 1,540 business magazines and journals in nearly every area of business, including marketing, management, finance, economics and more (currently not available)
- SUNY Digital Repository (DSpace): Online SUNY Optometry Masters and Doctoral theses
Gateways to Free Medical and Scientific Articles
- PubMed: Database of the National Library of Medicine
- BioMed Central: Peer-reviewed open-access journals
- Bookshelf (NLM): Searchable biomedical book collection
- DOAJ – Directory of Open Access Journals
- Free Medical Journals: Ophthalmology: In English and other languages (Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- HighWire Press Free Online Full-text Articles
- PLoS (Public Library of Science) Open-Access Journals:
- PubMed Central: Free digital archive of biomedical and life sciences journals
If you visit us in person (check our online “Library hours” page to see when we’re open), you will have access to the print resources of the largest vision science library in the country (search the EyeBrowze Library Catalog). You may still borrow books from the Main Collection (check the policies for alumni borrowing).