33 West 42nd Street New York, NY 10036
From experimental studies we know that eyes use visual information to adjust their growth and how they are focused. My main research interest is to understand the visual signals that trigger these eye growth changes that eventually lead to myopia. In particular, I am very interested in studying the role that the peripheral retina and eye shape might have as predictors of future changes in refraction. If the periphery proves to have a significant role in the regulation of eye growth, it may be possible to manipulate peripheral optics to control myopia development, and we might be soon measuring and correcting in our clinics not only the central but also the peripheral optics of the eye.
Another of my research interests is to understand the interaction between ocular size and vascular physiology. The structural characteristics of a myopic eye include an elongated vitreous chamber, which in high myopia is related to a stretched and progressively thinned choroid and sclera. This increases the risk of choroidal and retinal changes, and a variety of other ocular diseases including macular degeneration, choroiditis and glaucoma among others. Because of the known vascular features of many of these conditions associated with pathological myopia, my research also focuses on describing the vascular changes that a non-pathological myopic eye undergoes prior to the development of posterior pole pathologies. This is of significant clinical importance, as degenerative myopia is a leading cause of blindness. In this field, I am an external collaborator with the Vascular Imaging and Research Laboratory at Aston University, Birmingham, UK to study the vascular characteristics of the eyes in patients with Alzheimer’s disease.
- Vision Sciences, Aston University (Birmingham, UK), PhD
- Investigative Ophthalmology and Vision Sciences, UMIST (Manchester, UK), MS
- Optometry and Optics, College of Medicine and Sciences (Valladolid, Spain), BS Optom
- 2012-present: Assistant Clinical Professor, SUNY College of Optometry, New York, NY.
- 2009-2012: Post doctoral Research Associate, SUNY College of Optometry, New York, NY
- 2007-2009: Post doctoral Research Fellow, Aston University (Birmingham, UK) (part-time)
- 2007-2008: Post doctoral Research Fellow, City University (London, UK) (part-time)
- 2005-2009: Optometrist in private practice, UK
- 2003-2007: Clinical demonstrator, Aston University (Birmingham, UK)
- 2000-2002: Optometrist in private practice, Spain
- 2013: ASCO Faculty Development Summer Program, St. Louis, MO, US
- 2012: Sek-Jin Chew Myopia Travel Grant to present at ARVO 2012. Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA.
- 2009: International Travel Grant to present at the World Glaucoma Congress (WGC), July 2009.
- 2008: 20th International Conference of the Spanish College of Optometrists, special prize.
- 2007: Travel award from the College of Optometrists (UK) to present at the ARVO Annual Meeting.
- 2005: Student Travel Fellowship, American Academy of Optometry.
- Benavente-Perez A, Nour A, Troilo D. Axial Eye Growth and Refractive Error Development Can Be Modified by Exposing the Peripheral Retina to Relative Myopic or Hyperopic Defocus (2014) Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 55(10):6765-73.
- Mroczkowska S, Benavente-Perez A, Patel S, Qin L, Bentham P, Gherghel D (2014) Retinal vascular dysfunction relates to cognitive impairment in Alzheimer’s disease. Alzheimer’s Disease and Associated Disorders 8(4):366-7.
- Mroczkowska S, Benavente-Perez A, Negi A, Sung V, Patel S, Gherghel D (2013) Primary Open Angle Glaucoma vs Normal Tension Glaucoma: The vascular perspective. JAMA Ophthalmol 131(1):36-43
- Benavente-Perez A, Nour A, Troilo D (2012) The Effect of Simultaneous Negative and Positive Defocus Imposed by Multizone Soft Contact Lenses on Eye Growth and Development of Refractive State in Marmosets. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 53(10):6479-87.
- Mroczkowska S, Ekart A, Sung V, Negi A, Qin L, Patel S, Jacobs S, Atkins C, Benavente-Perez A, Gherghel A Coexistence of Macro- and Micro-vascular Abnormalities in Newly Diagnosed Normal Tension Glaucoma Patients. Arch Ophthalmol.
- Benavente-Perez A, Hosking SL, Logan NS, Bansal D (2010) Reproducibility-Repeatability of Choroidal Thickness Calculation Using OCT. Optom Vis Sci. 87(11):867-72.
- Benavente-Perez A, Hosking SL, Logan NS, Broadway DC (2010) Ocular Blood Flow Measurements in Healthy Human Myopic Eyes. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 248(11):1587-94.
- Conway M, Wevil M, Benavente-Perez A, Hosking SL (2010) Ocular Blood Flow Heamodynamics Before and After Application of Laser in Situ Keratomileusis Ring. J Cataract Refract Surg. 36(2):268-272.
- Benavente-Perez A (2009) El regalo de la vista en Uganda. Gaceta Óptica (órgano oficial del Colegio de Ópticos-Optometristas de España). no 435. pp 62.
- Bansal D, Benavente-Perez A (2006) Optical Coherence Tomography: Future Possibilities. Optometry Today 1st Dec
- Benavente-Perez A, Bansal D (2006) Optical Coherence Tomography: Diagnoses of Vitreoretinal Pathologies. Optometry Today 17th Nov
- Bansal D, Benavente-Perez A (2006) Optical Coherence Tomography: Terminology and Interpretations. Optometry Today 20th Oct
- Bansal D, Benavente-Perez A (2006) Optical Coherence Tomography: Principles and Possibilities. Optometry Today 6th Oct
- Benavente-Perez A (2006) Understanding Myopia. Optician 231 (6058) pp: 16-20.
- Benavente-Perez A, Dixon JA, Tullo A, Hillarby C (2005) La influencia genética en el transplante de córnea. Gaceta Óptica (órgano oficial del Colegio de Ópticos-Optometristas de España). March 2005.pp: 18-21.