Our faculty comprises internationally recognized optometrists, ophthalmologists and ophthalmic dispensers. Our doctors use leading-edge technology to treat an extraordinary range of vision-related problems. Because we’re a teaching facility affiliated with a major university, we’re able to provide services that go beyond comprehensive eye exams, eyeglasses and contact lenses. Optometrists frequently refer patients to us when they need specialty services through our Referral Service.
Our specialty services include:
• comprehensive psychoeducational and neuropsychological testing for children and adults with learning disabilities
• a world-renowned vision therapy and vision rehabilitation program
• the only freestanding optometric head trauma unit in the country
• a children with special needs unit, one of few programs in the country dedicated exclusively to children with conditions that make routine vision care difficult or impossible
• social work services and support groups lead by licensed clinical social workers
• laser vision correction as an alternative to eyeglasses and contact lenses
• specialty contact lenses and ocular prosthetics for patients with a variety of vision problems
• low vision evaluations and rehabilitation
At the UEC, we’re committed to extending high-quality vision care to a broad range of communities. We are proud to partner with numerous psychiatric centers, hospitals and ambulatory care centers affiliated with the New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation. Our extensive Vision Screening Program reaches out to children in schools and community organizations throughout New York City.
Through our Vision Care for the Homebound program, faculty and student interns provide comprehensive vision care to people with limited mobility across New York City. Beyond New York, UEC faculty and students regularly organize community service trips to provide vision care to disadvantaged communities around the world.