In 1956, a small group of dedicated optometrists and benefactors came together with the mission to advance vision science research and provide outstanding vision care to all New Yorkers. This group founded the Optometric Center of New York (OCNY), a non-profit chartered by the Board of Regents of the State of New York.
The OCNY also established a vision care clinic which, in 1971, became the clinical arm of the new SUNY College of Optometry, the University Optometric Center.
In 2009, the University Optometric Center was renamed the University Eye Center. The name change represents the UEC’s commitment to making vision care more accessible and increasing public awareness of the clinic.