Kathryn Richdale, OD, PhD, FAAO
PhD, Ohio State University, 2011 MS, Ohio State University & Cornea and Contact Lens Fellowship, 2005 OD, Ohio State University, 2002 BA, University of Notre Dame, 1998
My research is primarily in the areas of accommodation and presbyopia, and cornea and contact lenses.
Accommodation and Presbyopia
My graduate work was focused on developing better treatment options for presbyopia. My Masterís thesis demonstrated subjective and objective improvements with multifocal contact lenses compared to monovision correction. This work has been widely cited in both the scientific and lay press and has helped to change the standard of care and lead to wider adoption of multifocal contact lenses. My PhD work explored accommodative and biometic changes in presbyopia. Understanding how the lens and ciliary muscle change with age is critical to the development of better intraocular lens implants for the treatment of presbyopia.
Cornea and Contact Lenses
Since completing a Cornea and Contact Lens Fellowship, I have been engaged in collaborative research to understand risk factors associated with contact lens complications. As co-chair of the CLAY study group, we have explored risks unique to the pediatric population and have collaborated with the Centers for Disease Control to understand patient knowledge and risk-taking propensity toward contact lens wear. Over 41 million adults and unknown numbers of children wear contact lenses in the United States. Current research is exploring ways to utilize contact lenses to slow the progression of myopia, and diagnose and manage other diseases like diabetes and glaucoma. It is critical to understand contact lens related risk factors in order to support the development of these and other treatment options for children and adults.
Research focus: presbyopia, accommodation, imaging
Advanced Practice Fellowship in Cornea and Contact Lenses, Ohio State University College of Optometry, Columbus, OH (June 2005)
Master of Science, Ohio State University College of Optometry, Columbus, OH (June 2005)
Research focus: contact lenses, presbyopia
Doctor of Optometry, Ohio State University College of Optometry, Columbus, OH (June 2002)
Bachelor of Science, University of Notre Dame, South Bend, IN (May 1998)
Assistant Professor, SUNY College of Optometry, New York, New York (August 2012 - Current)
Assistant Clinical Professor, SUNY College of Optometry, New York, New York (August 2011 - August 2012)
Senior Research Associate, Primary research areas: contact lenses, solutions, dye eye, tear chemistry, The Ohio State University College of Optometry, Columbus, Ohio (July 2005 - January 2007)
Optometrist, Eye Care Centers of America, multi-office practice in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia (July 2002 - July 2003)
2014 SUNY Research Foundation Presidential Fellowship
2013 Ohio State University College of Optometry Centennial Notable Aluma
2012 SUNY Optometry Alden N. Haffner Innovation Chair
2011 AOA Future Faculty Program, invited attendee
2010 Association of Optometric Contact Lens Educators George Mertz New Educator Award
2010 Ohio Lions Eye Research Fellowship
2009 Prevent Blindness Ohio Young Investigator Award
2008 Ohio State University College of Optometry Arene T. Wray Fellowship
2008 American Optometric Foundation Ezell Fellow (Presidents Circle)
2008 Bausch + Lomb Student Innovation Award
2008 AAO/AOA Summer Invitational Research Institute, invited attendee
2007 - 2009 Ohio State University College of Optometry T32 Research Training Grant
2007 American Optometric Foundation Ezell Fellow (Bausch + Lomb)
2006 Ohio State University College of Optometry Research Staff Award
2006 Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry (FAAO)
2005 - 2012 National Institute of Health Loan Repayment Program
2005 Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology Travel Grant
2005 American Academy of Optometry Travel Grant
1998 - 2002 Ohio State University College of Optometry Academic Scholarship
- Richdale K, Mitchell GL, Zadnik K. Comparison of Multifocal and Monovision Soft Contact Lens Corrections in Low-Astigmatic Presbyopic Patients. Optometry and Vision Science (2006); 83(5): 266-273. PMID:16699438
- Richdale K, Sinnott L, Skadahl E, Nichols J. Frequency of and Factors Associated with Contact Lens Dissatisfaction and Discontinuation. Cornea (2007); 26(2): 168-174. PMID:17251807
- Richdale K, Berntsen D, Mack C, Merchea M, Barr J. Visual Acuity with Spherical and Toric Soft Contact Lenses in Astigmatic Eyes. Optometry and Vision Science (2007); 84(10): 969-975. PMID:18049362
- Richdale K, Bullimore MA, Zadnik, K. Lens Thickness with Age and Accommodation by Optical Coherence Tomography. Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics (2008); 28(5):441-447. PMCID:PMC2857534
- Berntsen DA, Merchea M, Richdale K, Mack C, Barr JT. Higher-order Aberrations with Spherical and Toric Soft Contact Lens Designs. Optometry and Vision Science (2009); 86(2):115-122. PMCID:PMC2765793
- Richdale K, Wassenaar P, Bluestein KT, Abduljalil A, Christoforidis JA, Knopp MV, Schmalbrock P. 7T MR Imaging of the Human Eye In Vivo. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging (2009) 30(5):924ñ932. PMCID:PMC2871321
- Walline JJ, Jones LA, Sinnott L, Chitkara M, Coffey B, Jackson JM, Manny RE, Rah MJ, Prinstein MJ; ACHIEVE Study Group. Randomized trial of the effect of contact lens wear on self-perception in children. Optometry and Vision Science (2009) 86(3):222-32. PMID: 19214129
- Rah MJ, Walline JJ, Jones-Jordan LA, Sinnott LT, Jackson JM, Manny RE, Coffey B, Lyons S; ACHIEVE Study Group. Vision specific quality of life of pediatric contact lens wearers. Optometry and Vision Science (2010) 87(8):560-6. PMID: 20562669
- Kao C-Y, Richdale K, Sinnott L, Ernst L, Bailey MD. Semi-Automatic Extraction Algorithm for Images of the Ciliary Body. Optometry and Vision Science (2011) 88(2):275-289. PMCID:PMC3030281
- Lam DY, Kinoshita BT, Jansen ME, Mitchell GL, Chalmers RL, McMahon TT, Richdale K, Sorbara L, and Wagner H as the CLAY Study Group. Contact Lens Assessment in Youth (CLAY): Methods and Baseline Findings. Optometry and Vision Science (2011) 88(6):708-715. PMID:21423066
- Jansen ME, Chalmers RL, Mitchell GL, Kinoshita BT, Lam DY, McMahon TT, Richdale K, Sorbara L, and Wagner H as the CLAY Study Group. Characterization of Patients who Report Compliant and Non-Compliant Overnight Wear of Soft Contact Lenses. Contact Lens and Anterior Eye (2011) 34(5):229-235. PMID:21345717
- Wagner H, Chalmers RL, Mitchell GL, Jansen ME, Kinoshita BT, Lam DY, McMahon TT, Richdale K, and Sorbara L as the CLAY Study Group. Risk Factors for Interruption to Soft Contact Lens Wear in Children and Young Adults. Optometry and Vision Science (2011) 88(8):973-980. PMID:21602732
- Chalmers RL, Wagner H, Mitchell GL, Lam DY, Kinoshita BT, Jansen ME, Richdale K, Sorbara L, and McMahon TT as the CLAY Study Group. Age and Other Risk Factors for Corneal Infiltrative and Inflammatory Events in Young Soft Contact Lens Wearers from the Contact Lens Assessment in Youth (CLAY) Study. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science (2011) 52(9):6690-6696. PMID:21527379
- Lossing LA, Sinnott LT, Kao, CY, Richdale K, Bailey, MD. Measuring Ciliary Muscle Thickness Changes with Accommodation in Young Adults. Optometry and Vision Science (2012) 89(5):719-726. PMCID:PMC3348269
- Richdale K, Bailey MD, Sinnott LT, Kao CY, Zadnik K, Bullimore MA. The Effect of Phenylephrine on the Ciliary Muscle and Accommodation. Optometry and Vision Science (2012) 89(10)1507-1511. PMCID:PMC3607430
- Richdale K, Sinnott, LT, Bullimore MA, Wassenaar PA, Schmalbrock P, Kao CY, Patz S, Mutti D, Glasser A, Zadnik K. Quantification of Age-Related and per Diopter Accommodative Changes of the Lens and Ciliary Muscle in the Emmetropic Human Eye. Investigative Ophthalmology and Vision Science (2013) 54(2)1095-1105. PMCID:PMC3567753
- Richdale K, Lam DY, Mitchell GL, Chalmers RL, Jansen ME, Kinoshita BT, Sorbara L, Wagner H. Geographic and Temporal Risk Factors for Interruptions to Soft Contact Lens Wear in Young Wearers. Contact Lens & Anterior Eye (2013) 36:253-258. PMID:23507502
- Wagner H, Richdale K, Mitchell GL, Lam DY, Jansen ME, Kinoshita BT, Sorbara L, Chalmers RL. Age, Behavior, Environment and Health Factors in the Soft Contact Lens Risk Survey. Optometry and Vision Science (2014) 91(3)252-61. PMID 24445722
- Kinoshita BT, Chalmers RL, Mitchell GL, Richdale K, Lam DY, Sorbara L, Jansen ME, Wagner H. Rate of Change and Predictive Factors for Increasing Minus Contact Lens Powers in Young Myopes. Clinical and Experimental Optometry (2015) 98: 323-329.
- Cope JR, Collier SA, Rao MM, Chalmers RC, Mitchell GL, Richdale K, Wagner H, Kinoshita B, Lam DY, Sorbara L, Zimmerman A, Yoder Js, Beach MJ. Contact Lens Wearer Demographics and Risk Behaviors for Contact Lens-Related Eye Infections ó United States, 2014. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly 64 (2015) 32:865-870.
- Chao C, Golebiowski B, Stapleton F, Richdale K. Changes in Tear Cytokine Concentrations Following Discontinuation of Soft Contact Lenses. Eye and Contact Lenses (2015 epub ahead of print).
- Richdale K, Sinnott LT, Bullimore M, Zadnik K. The Effect of Age, Accommodation and Refractive Error on the Adult Human Eye. Optometry and Vision Science (2016) 93(1)3-11.
- Richdale K, Lam DY, Wagner H, Zimmerman A, Kinoshita BT, Chalmers RL, Sorbara L, Szczotka-Flynn L, Govindarajulu U, Mitchell GL. Case-Control Pilot Study of Soft Contact lens Wearers with Corneal Infiltrative Events and Healthy Controls. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science (2016) 57(1) 47-55.
- Richdale K. Presbyopic Soft Lens Design Options. Contact Lens Spectrum. March 2008.
- Richdale K. Ocular and Refractive Considerations of the Aging Eye. Contact Lens Spectrum. February 2009.
- Richdale K. Anterior Segment OCT. Optometric Management. February 2010.
- Richdale K. Improving the Quality of our Patientsí Vision. Contact Lens Spectrum. March 2011.
- Satiani G and Richdale K. Enhancing your Contact Lens Practice. Review of Optometry. June 2011.
- Richdale K. Putting Clinical Research into Practice. Contact Lens Spectrum. February 2014