Employee Faq

Who is the UUP Dental Carrier?

Delta is the Dental Carrier for members of UUP.  For forms and additional information, visit http://www.uupinfo.org/

When can I change health insurance plans? 

If you need to change coverage from individual to family, or vice versa, you may inform the Human Resources Office at any time and submit an application. Such changes may be restricted if you are in the Pre-Tax Contribution Program (PTCP). If you decide to change health insurance options, the transfer must be made during the option transfer period (open enrollment period), which is usually scheduled during the fall of each year. Under specific circumstances you may be eligible to change options outside the option transfer period. For more information, consult your NYSHIP General Information Book or visit the Human Resources Office.

Although New York State provides you with the opportunity to obtain comprehensive health care insurance, keeping your coverage up to date is your responsibility. The following is a list of situations that may require a change in the type of coverage that you have. Contact the Human Resources Office immediately if any of the following changes occur or questions arise.

Your family unit changes:

  • you marry or divorce
  • your domestic partner no longer qualifies
  • you want to add a dependent
  • you no longer have any eligible dependents
  • your dependent loses eligibility
  • you no longer wish to provide coverage for a dependent
  • you have a disabled dependent
  • your spouse dies

Your employment status changes (or you anticipate a change):

  • you are planning to retire from State service
  • you are leaving State service
  • you are going on leave without pay
  • you are going on family and/or medical leave

Your personal information changes:

  • you move to a new home address
  • you have a new phone number
  • you change your name
What should I do with medical bills received related to my job-related injury?

Contact the Human Resources Office immediately. Workers’ Compensation benefits provide protection for employees relative to medical expenses and loss of salary resulting from an occupational injury or illness. Basic protection is provided under the Workers’ Compensation Law. The medical expenses are paid by the State Insurance Fund not by your health insurance carrier.~ Other benefits may be available, contact the Human Resources Office for additional information. Employees absent for 1 cumulative year due to occupational injury or illness may be terminated from State service under Section 71 of the Civil Service Law, which also provides certain re-employment rights if the employee subsequently recovers.

My employment is terminating. My dependent is losing eligibility. Can health insurance be continued?

Yes, but you will have to pay directly for the coverage. You need to come to the Human Resources Office for further information on how to begin the COBRA health insurance process.

If one of my children who was going to college decides to drop out for a semester, can I continue their health insurance?


What do I need to know about taking time for pregnancy, childbirth, and/or childcare?

Permanent employees who are disabled because of pregnancy or childbirth are eligible for the same disability benefits available to other employees who incur a temporary disability. Temporary employees are eligible for all benefits, except sick leave at half pay, until employment would otherwise terminate. Normally, sick leave and other disability benefits are available for use 4 weeks prior to the anticipated due date and 6 weeks following the actual delivery date. If your disability begins prior to this period or extends beyond it, you will need to provide specific medical documentation.

Employees, without regard to gender, are entitled to childcare leave without pay for up to 7 months from the date of delivery. The postnatal period of medical disability is included in this 7-month period. Once the medical disability period (as stated above) has ended, the employee may no longer charge sick leave; however, absence may be charged to other credits such as vacation and personal leave, at the employee’s option. Once these accruals are exhausted, employees are placed on leave without pay for the remainder of the 7 months. Of course, you need not request leave for the entire 7-month period if you wish to resume work earlier. If both parents are State employees, several options may exist for them. One parent may elect to take the childcare leave, they may elect to split the 7-month leave, or they may request concurrent leave, subject to agency discretion.

What is Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)?

Employees who meet certain service requirements are entitled, through the federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), to take leave of up to 12 weeks per year for serious personal or family health conditions. This leave can also be used for the arrival of a new child by birth, adoption or foster placement. Although FMLA leave is unpaid, the employee may elect to charge appropriate leave credits in order to continue income during such an absence.~ For additional information, please contact the Human Resources Office.


How do I enroll in Dependent Care Advantage and/or Healthcare Spending?

The New York State Flex Spending Account (FSA) is a valuable employee benefit that puts money in your pocket by helping you save on healthcare costs and the dependent care expenses you incur. The FSA benefit includes 2 programs to help you keep more of your paycheck. You may enroll by applying online at http://www.flexspend.ny.gov/ or by calling 1-800-358-7202.

The Dependent Care Advantage Account (DCA Account) has been consistently saving State employee participants hundreds of dollars on their dependent care expenses. The Employer Contribution could significantly help cover summer day camp, nursery school, childcare center or adult day care costs. The program also consists of the Health Care Spending Account (HCSAccount), established in 2001, which helps you save money spent on healthcare services for your family that are not reimbursed by your health insurance plan. The Health Care Spending Account, like the Dependent Care Advantage Account, is an easy-to-use program that lets you contribute pre-tax dollars through automatic payroll deductions into your reimbursement account. A special feature of this benefit even allows you to be reimbursed for eligible healthcare expenses without waiting for the cash to accumulate in your account.

Enrolling in the Flex Spending Account is easy. You can apply for enrollment in either the DCA Account or the HCS Account or both through a completely paperless process.

Submit your application online at Flex Spending Account, or call (800) 358-7202 and a Customer Service Representative will take your application. The process is quick, easy and secure.

What is “lag pay”?

In the 1970s legislation was passed in New York State that moved the schedule for payroll payments so that instead of being paid up for work performed upon receipt of a paycheck, employees were not added to the payroll until the beginning of the next payroll following the one in which they commenced working. This action was taken for 2 reasons. First, at the time New York State was facing a budgetary crisis and this recycling saved money in a difficult fiscal year by deferring 2 weeks, worth of salary distributions into the next fiscal year. Secondly, it was felt that the lag system would be more efficient and avoid the work involved in returned checks for “no shows” or “lost time pay deductions” and the need for capturing and returning checks for replacement checks when employees left service and there was not enough time for payroll to be notified to stop or adjust their checks.

How come when I multiply my biweekly gross pay by 26, it equals less than my annual salary?

To determine your biweekly gross pay, you should take your annual salary and multiply it by a factor, dependent on whether your obligation is based on a calendar year or an academic year.~ For most people, that factor, except for leap year, is .038356 or 14 days/365.

  • A start date may be in the middle of a pay period so that a first paycheck will not represent the full 14 days in the pay period.
  • If you are M/C or are represented by any union except UUP, you get paid 1 day less than worked for each of your 5 five pay periods of employment.