WHAT IS INFORMATION SECURITY?
Information Security is the protection of information and information systems from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, disruption, modification, or destruction in order to provide confidentiality, integrity, and availability*
SUNY College of Optometry Information Security Program
- Ensures that the appropriate safeguards and controls are in place to protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the College/UEC information assets
- Includes administrative, technical and physical safeguards
- Maintains compliance with legal and regulatory requirements governing the collection, retention, dissemination, protection and destruction of sensitive information
Who is responsible for Information Security?
- Everyone who uses a computer needs to know how to keep his or her computer and data secure to ensure a safe working environment
- Everyone who accesses the College/UEC information assets, whether electronic or on paper
INFORMATION SECURITY IS EVERYONE’S RESPONSIBILITY!
*Source: “Glossary of Key Information Security Terms”, NIST IR 7298