NCSAM 2018 Week 2
Millions of Rewarding Jobs: Educating for a Career in Cybersecurity
The unprecedented demand for well-trained cybersecurity workers continues to grow. Some experts predict that there will be a global shortage of two million cybersecurity professionals by next year. This is critical considering the increase in cyberattacks and the erosion of consumer trust in the ability to protect the internet. Enlisting the next generation of skilled cybersecurity workers and training existing employees will help build stronger defenses and restore confidence among digital citizens.
According to an article in the Harvard Business Review, important attributes of accomplished cybersecurity professionals include curiosity and a passion for learning, problem solving skills, strong ethics and a keen understanding of risks. In addition, job seekers with nontraditional backgrounds may bring new experience and perspectives to the position. And, a variety of industries ‒ ranging from education, financial institutions and banks to fashion, design and retail – are hiring. The bottom line is that the profession is dedicated to helping make our borderless online world safer and more secure for everyone.
For more information and inspiration regarding cybersecurity careers, view the infographic, There Are Millions of Rewarding Jobs in Cybersecurity
- CyberCompEx – Cybersecurity forums, groups, news and competition information
- CyberCorps® Scholarship for Service – A program providing scholarships and stipends to undergraduate and graduate students studying cybersecurity at participating institutions. Great for those who want to work in government
- CyberPatriot – The national youth cyber education program
- GenCyber – Summer cybersecurity camp experiences for K-12 students and teachers
- National CyberWatch Center – A consortium of higher education institutions, public and private businesses and government agencies focused on advancing cybersecurity education and strengthening the workforce
- National Initiative for Cybersecurity Careers and Studies (NICCS) – Provides information on cybersecurity training, formal education and workforce development
- National Initiative for Cybersecurity Education (NICE) – An initiative to energize and promote a robust network and an ecosystem of cybersecurity education, training and workforce development