In order to register to vote, and to vote in New York, you must:
- be a United States citizen;
- be 18 years old by December 31 of the year in which you file this [voter registration] form (note: you must be 18 years old by the date of the general, primary or other election in which you want to vote);
- resident of this state and the county, city or village for at least 30 days before the election;
- not be in prison or on parole for a felony conviction (unless parolee pardoned or restored rights of citizenship);
- not be adjudged mentally incompetent by a court;
- not claim the right to vote elsewhere.